Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fool's Paradise

I borrowed some imagery in this piece! If you couldn't tell, it's from Rousseau and his wonderful primitive gardens. For this mask and the series of pieces that followed, I sculpted and carved the original face, then made a mold to create others. Especially when there is intricate carving done, a mold can be quite useful and time saving! This particular mask was cast with earthenware slip, sculpted upon and then bisque fired. I used underglazes to color the different areas - then gave it a final firing. The finishing is with pencils.

There have been many fools created in my studio and perhaps I am the biggest fool of all. But, seriously, I enjoy making them for they are (for me) symbolic of everything lighthearted and of the kind of wisdom that exists in simplicity.....

No comments:

Post a Comment