Monday, March 9, 2009

Secret Garden

This is a piece that I made while in Japan at the Institute of Ceramic Studies in 2002. Before I went there I had only worked with earthenware clay and, to my surprise, it didn't exist in Japan (or at least in Shigaraki!). Thus began my transition into the new territory of stoneware and porcelain...and as a result, glaze making.

I consider this mask to be among the "ground breakers" of the secret garden that was revealed to me. Fortunately, those experiments have led to a garden that is continually blooming!

1 comment:

  1. I just came across your work while playing in Etsy site - then your blog. Your work resonates with me. I too work with clay and love to make masks, and weave masks as well. Thanks for sharing your incredible work - very spirited and soul-nurturing.

    Shanna

    ReplyDelete