Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Battle Weary

I sculpted this piece on my first stay at the ICS in Hungary (2006) and there it remains. While I was making it, there was a gathering of Hungarian ceramists working there to make sculptures relating to the October 1956 occupation by the Russians. Many of the artists had first hand experiences and the works created were full of emotional content. This prompted me to create something relating to my own struggles and emotions. At the time, I wasn't really sure where this piece came from. I'm even less sure now, but I do believe that it must have come from my heart! So many disappointments, so many chains - but hey, I'm a survivor and I have the scars to prove it!

It was a challenge to raku this work. The head, helmet and body were fired separately and assembled ater firing.

No comments:

Post a Comment