Monday, February 16, 2009

Self Control

A number of people have been bothered by this mask - they just can't seem to handle the faucets in the eyes! But, most viewers "get it" and wish it was so easy to turn off and on at will. This was my idea since I often feel powerless when I must show some self control. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be the pilots of our own crafts?! Well, I can dream, can't I?

The mask is stoneware with engobes and glazes. The faucets were epoxied in after the final firing.

It's a busy time in the studio...getting ready for the Contemporary Crafts show (San Francisco) in March. I'm working on ten pieces at once and it's difficult to mentally keep track of where I'm at with each one...

1 comment:

  1. I definitely get the pun-- and quite like the ironic contrast between humor, and sadness (even horror, in the case of some who saw the work!)

    ReplyDelete