Friday, February 13, 2009

Self Medicating

While in Hungary at the International Ceramic Studios, I made this mask. One Hungarian family has produced Unicum ( an herbal liqueur) for many years - even through the Russian occupation. Although, to protect the "secret" family recipe, it was changed slightly during the occupation so that the Russians would not be able to reproduce the original. When I heard about this, I just had to commemorate it. For such a long time the Hungarians have been downtrodden, but now they are free to self medicate with the original Unicum. I found this symbolic...with a dash of irony thrown in for good measure.

The mask was fired multiple times and cold finished. By the way, Unicum is an acquired taste!

1 comment:

  1. Funny. I'm thinking of the masks of the Italian commedia dell'arte who are often going through extraordinary lengths to satisfy their own hungers, thirsts, and lusts.

    ReplyDelete